“People keep asking us, ‘Where are the green energy jobs?'” (Energy Minister Chris) Bentley said. OWR
Good question Mr. Bentley. The Ontario government repeatedly claims that they’re creating tens of thousands of ‘green’ jobs.
Where are the jobs?
The auditor general not only found Liberal claims their Green Energy Act would create 50,000 jobs between 2009 and 2012 were nonsense, but that experience around the world has shown so-called green energy destroys more jobs than it creates because it inevitably leads to higher electricity prices. Sun
High power rates kill jobs:
wind-power rates are more than twice as high as nuclear, and four times those of hydro G&M
Job Losses per MW (emphasis added):
- … Spain had embarked on a similar track to Ontario’s when it developed its green energy strategy in 1997…”However, the study revealed that for every megawatt installed, 5.28 net jobs were lost on average.” TF
- Each “green” megawatt installed destroyed 5.28 jobs elsewhere in the economy, on average SUN
- Each megawatt of wind energy installed destroyed 4.27 jobs elsewhere in the economy. IER
Job Losses per job created (emphasis added):
- Texas, Spain and Italy, for example, found that for every green job created, as many as seven jobs were lost SR
- the capital needed for one green job in Italy could create five new jobs in the general economy NP
- For every new ‘green’ job, nearly four are lost Tel
- for every job created in the U.K. in renewable energy, 3.7 jobs are lost FP FP INV NP
- every green job created leads to the loss of 3.7 jobs elsewhere in the economy — if Ontario meets its green job target, a potential 185,000 jobs could be lost. Green jobs thus threaten to be a potential major driver of provincial unemployment.1
- Green programs in Spain destroyed 2.2 jobs for every job created FP IER INV
- In Spain, researchers at King Carlos University found that, on average, each job in the wind sector cost the country more than £1-million, implying a loss of 2.2 private sector jobs for every new job created in the renewables sector. FP
The Ontario government repeatedly claims that they’re creating tens of thousands of ‘green’ jobs. Where are the jobs?
Cost per Job
- $9 Billion in ‘Stimulus’ for Solar, Wind Projects Made 910 Final Jobs — $9.8 Million Per Job OWR CNS
“People keep asking us, ‘Where are the green energy jobs?'” Bentley said.
“Let’s just think about that a little bit. Today, here, we have around 30 jobs. Parts come from Stoney Creek… from Celestica in Toronto. These (hubs) are going to a large project in Chatham-Kent.
If you have information on additional ‘green’ jobs, feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of the page.